Wednesday, November 8, 2017

dis CONTENTMENT

Last evening I wrote a piece called "Happiness Is..."  It was an attempt to fill a page in a quick minute to keep the momentum up and also some thoughts touching on some good feelings; some of the best.  It also served as a reminder to myself to be kinder to myself, something which I have been slacking in over the recent past.

I had been beating myself up for seemingly having lost my spontaneous creativity.  It began when I took a trip with my son to Washington D.C. to go to the March to support the Scientists and to get my housebound son out of his natural comfort zone to expose him to more of what he should be focusing on in my mind - living.

We had a great time despite the weather being a bit less nice than I thought it would be.  My son saved the day with an extra sweater which was most welcome at the time.  Washington D.C. is somewhere that I am semi familiar with from a couple of trips with my Grandparents and a trip with my eldest son and my Dad 20 years ago.

While much has stayed the same, much has changed.  Me getting lost leaving every time we left D.C. and headed back to our hotel in Virginia, in the same place mind you, got to be a laughing matter to me, not so much for my son :) 

Much of our time was spent walking and visiting the Smithsonian Museums.  My Grandmother was a teacher and one thing that was important was History.  I will never forget those days walking around and seeing great wonders of our land packed inside these huge rooms.  It was amazing.

The Museums have changed and much of the wonders I remember were unseen and unshown to my son.  We saw plenty.  More than the human brain can process properly in the days we were there, but which will stay with us forever.

I am living in my hometown where we have a lovely Museum.  This too is now going to change and not in a little enhancing way.  The proposed changes alter everything about our Museum including selling 40 of the best pieces of Art which were left to the Citizens of the City.  If you hit the link you will learn a great deal about our wonderful artifacts which shaped a great deal of people's lives.

While the changes, according to the Museum will enhance our community, it is unclear why the project has to be funded by selling our prized possessions.  This takes all the love and joy I feel for the Berkshire Museum, which I used to go to, and have enjoyed many good times over the past few years despite the changes which have already occurred.

It is a sad, sad day and it breaks into my sense of Contentment.  I walk by every Monday and enjoy the architecture of the building, the reliefs set into the top border, the top of the sun window that is above the Crane room which was in my childhood filled with these beautiful paintings which will never adorn the walls again.

We lived in an area where our ancestors knew the value of such jewels.  They could have kept these beautiful pieces of art in their own Mansions to enjoy, but that was not how they thought.  They wanted others to experience the beauty for themselves as well.

My last word on this sad subject is this.  It is easy in this day and age to take the lazy way out.  Just because you are able to do something, despite it being morally wrong doesn't mean that it is the right thing to do.  The rich people who would have cared about this art being sold are long gone, with a few remaining here and there who might not share the passion of their ancestors as strongly - now these prized and cherished pieces will be in the lavish homes of wealthy art appreciators (if they are so lucky) instead of at home in the Berkshire Museum where they belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment