Wednesday, February 6, 2013

MY WON TON ADVENTURE



                                                          PORK WON TONS




First I ground up some center cut pork in my handy grinder - I like the old fashioned food mills, they are awesome - the pork was very easy to grind.  I added a tablespoon of soy sauce, some finely chopped scallions - the recipe called for oyster sauce so I improvised and added some fish sauce.  I added a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of cornstarch and some black pepper and mixed well.

Won Ton wrappers are easier to work with than I expected.  I laid out a few at a time and brushed with water, added a ball of meat mixture and folded them over corner to corner, sealing with a pinch and then sealed the sides.

While I was wrapping them I put the water on to boil, it said to use a sauce pan, add won tons stir and cover, return to a boil and remove cover, add a cup of cold water and cover, return to a boil.  I did that and watched them, testing one to make sure it was finished.



 I had opened a can of chicken broth, added the some soy sauce and scallions, chopped up to put my delicious won tons in.  The first batch I made I only made 6 won tons - so they were the testers.  I have been gung ho in the past with doing things all at once and learned the hard way to do a tester.

The six won tons went into a bowl with some broth and into my tummy and gone so quick that I had to make some more!  I could have eaten them all night!

I wrapped all of the rest and saved 8 more for the next day for two reasons...I wanted to see how they held up over night in the fridge already prepared.  Yesterday for lunch I found that overnight seemed fine, but I do not think that any more than a day would keep them as fresh as they do dry and get a little tacky.

This was a fun and easy meal to create!  I wanted something easy in order to get some practice for my real treat - crab rangoons!  Which I will be sharing with you as well!  I hope you found this useful and entertaining!  It made me hungry all over again for these delicious morsels and I can't wait to try other fillings as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment