Friday, November 2, 2012

Happiness Is...

I can tell change is in progress.  It comes about so regularly in my life.  Seems like it is my middle name.  I get settled and cozy with the people and things in my life and bam! here comes change again.

 I am in a discussion on Google+ based off 

Dalai Lama

5:44 AM  -  Public
There are two kinds of happiness - the temporary pleasure derived primarily from material comfort alone and another more enduring comfort that results from the thorough transformation and development of the mind. We can see in our own lives that the latter form of happiness is superior because when our mental state is calm and happy, we can easily put up with minor pains and physical discomforts. On the other hand, when our mind is restless and upset, the most comfortable physical facilities do not make us happy.

Many people do not understand the difference in the two and more interestingly some can't even grasp the concept of "a more enduring comfort that results from the thorough transformation and development of the mind".  This should not surprise me yet it does.

Perhaps it is because I have always taken pleasure out of the gifts of the earth and I have always appreciated them.  I find that when I am sad or upset it is difficult to see these things, yet when I am happy and calm I notice all the beauty the earth provides us everyday within our sight - they seem to pop out of nowhere!  

This might sound strange, but a few years ago now, my good friend Kelly died.  While I had not known her very long we were great friends!  She was the coolest woman I have ever met in my entire life, besides myself that is!  Very earthy and creative, kind, warm, fun, destructive and forgiving, I would have taken away her ailments if I could!   

The day that she died I was trying to reach her to go to visit with her, as she had been in the hospital and I had been ill and did not want to get my friend any sicker.  Her Mom phoned me to let me know that Kelly had passed earlier that day.  Within 5 minutes my beautiful Angel fish did a flip and died in about a minute!  

It was raining and I lived in the country.  We had just gotten our puppy, Simba, and I brought him outside on the leash and stood in the wet, dark night.  There was no light from the house or any from any outside sources and as I thought about my friend the raindrops were glistening!

She is buried in a cute little cemetery where they don't even close the gates at night, which is rare these days.  Whenever I go there I sit and talk to her and chill.  My boys and I try to do it regularly, and no matter what time of day or night it is, a wild animal two will always pass by, or if it is cloudy the sun will come out.  I don't know if it is coincidence or imagination or a sign.  I like to think it is a sign from my amazing beautiful spirited friend!

My happiness is derived by things like this.  Memories and friends here or passed.  The feeling that I associate that with is love.  Loving and being loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment