Thursday, November 15, 2012

Holiday Traditions

With Thanksgiving exactly one week away I am getting excited.  I enjoy nothing more than I do cooking.  Holiday meals especially!  I love getting up early and preparing the turkey and resisting the urge to eat anything all day until the feast is ready!

I look back to last year.  One of my sons works in a nursing home and he had a couple of friends who had no where to go so at the last minute we made room at our table for them.  The more the merrier I always say!  No one is going hungry on my watch!  I make more food than necessary!

Patrick's friends decided that since they work in the kitchen they had the gravy covered - they came in the kitchen and basically threw me out and made a disastrous mess - me - I don't believe in "canned" gravy   Gravy is one of my specialties.  The boys will not be messing with my gravy this year!  I do not know what they did, but there was no salvaging it.  We all tried to eat it - tried being the keyword here!

I am a spontaneous person.  Lord only knows what this holiday will bring!  My friend Jennet tried to hi-jack us to have the holiday at her house this year.  I just can't do it.  It has been a tradition since the beginning of time in my family to have the holiday together.

When I was younger we always went to my Mom's parents house for the holiday with my Aunt and Uncles, Grandparents and whatever cousins were in the area - usually myself, my brother and Adam.  My mother used to make a big deal about it - preventing me from having my own celebration with my own "family".

Since those days are long past - the tradition is the meal at my house.  My son's and their Dad's, my Dad, myself and whomever is alone are welcome!  My son's would not even hear of breaking tradition!   I taught them about traditions by example and practice!   In this day and age keeping tradition is important.

 This year we may be having a new guest who is totally vegetarian.  Not really understanding completely the different types of vegetarian I asked her what her tradition is now that she is vegetarian - her Aunt (family lives in Philly) makes her homemade macaroni and cheese.  I for one am a huge fan of  homemade macaroni and cheese.  My stepfather used to make it for us and we loved it!  My sons do not like it.  They will eat that box stuff!  I refuse to call that macaroni and cheese!  I am looking forward to adding a new dish to my Thanksgiving table!

Time passes quickly.  Before you know it they will be making their own traditions and plans.  My eldest son, is married and his wife works the holiday but they go to her families and celebrate.  I am thankful that he has a warm and loving family who have welcomed him into their family!  They are awesome!

Soon enough they all will have families and hopefully - until I die it will be a tradition to go to Mom's for the holiday feast!  I am counting down the days to Thursday!  I am thankful for my family and friends around my table and in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment