Wednesday, January 23, 2013

VALUES

It has been on my mind for a while know at how disposable everything is these days.  Products which are made to break, or which are outdated the minute they leave the store, furniture which is made of poor quality and workmanship.  People, relationships, families as well.  It boggles my mind as it seems that we as a society have lost our perspective on the value of things and the pride in doing things well and to last and doing things correctly the first time.

I have met people who, when they move they just leave all of their possessions behind and expect to receive handouts to replace them.  Those same people look around at what you have and are envious of this or that, and who say, I wish I had...and think that I will just hand them some object or possession that I have loved and cared for most of my life and which has meaning and memories.

My kids may complain that every time I move, the furniture is heavy and bulky.  It is that way because it was made in a time that quality mattered.  It is old, they say, yes, but my great grandfather made that set of shelves and my Father's grandmother had those dressers in her home.  They are symbolic of family and being a part of something irreplaceable!

Our local radio runs a Public Service Announcement for the Fatherhood Coalition.  In it, this twelve year old girl explains that her Dad has been gone for a long time and she writes to him and he doesn't write back, can you help?  It breaks my heart every time I hear it.  It touches a chord deep inside me.  It makes me want to cry, for her, for me, for every disposed of child on the planet!

In the "Old Days" when a man and  woman married, it was a contract, a commitment until death do us part.  They worked hard, raised a family, bought a house, permanent and secure and stable.  If it was not all that and more, they sought counsel and either worked on making it work, or stayed together until the children were grown up.

Today, people don't even get married and have children.  There is no value to anything sacred anymore.  I for one do not have a disposable life.  I never thought I was materialistic, yet I have many possessions and they are cherished possessions, memories are stored in each and everyone, some I can recall and many I cannot, yet they are markers in my life.

I have one planned child out of three children and my ex spouse and I made a commitment to each other that regardless of our relationship, we would never fail that child as parents.  We have kept that promise regardless of whether or not we could stand the sight of each other or not.  It is called commitment.  Not only is he committed to our child together, he also had picked up the slack for my other son's father's - it is what it is and I am very grateful that he is such a good Dad!  When my oldest son got married recently, he was their in role of Dad.  I am eternally grateful for his arm, walking in as the parents of the Groom. as I am certain that my boys are also grateful for the consistent and continued love and support as well.

As the world shifts and changes, I for one would like to see more value placed on family and pride in a job well done and less greed  on all levels.  I for one think the world would be a better place!

6 comments:

  1. I liked this very much. and even tho I right now am having problems ( stemed from my past) I agree wiht it all. I have been with my wife going on 29 yrs (27 married) all the kids are grown up. She should have left me long ago ( this was before I got help) and maybe even now who knows. But the children know they are loved and can come to us no matter what. If Familys worked the way they should have then a lot of the world's problems woul dnot beas bad IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill ~ just found this comment ~ did not even know this post was on this page with comments ~ I am glad that you liked it and that it touched on what you are feeling. I am in agreement that we need a less disposable society

      Delete
  2. ~ great thoughts and words as always ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely written Jennifer. So easy to get caught up in the disposable society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for responding Dave ~ and for the compliment! Sorry I was unaware this was posted here! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for responding Dave ~ and for the compliment! Sorry I was unaware this was posted here! Thanks for reading!

      Delete